Saturday, April 16, 2011

I Made Caramel

The other day I decided to try making caramel with a can of sweetened condensed milk, and the result was super yummy.

I literally just dumped the can into a small saucepan and stirred it regularly/constantly over med-low heat until it turned golden (20 mins or so). I then added some heavy (35%) cream, which I think in the end cut the sweetness a bit, but probably wasn't necessary, and let it reduce some more. Once it was a nice, thick consistency I poured it out onto a double layer of waxed paper. (If you try this, you should definitely put some butter or something on the waxed paper first. I did not and the caramel stuck like nobody's business)


Caramelized Condensed Milk + Heavy Cream


I added some toasted hazelnuts to one end for variation. Chocolate or dried fruit or any other kind of nut would also be delicious, I'm sure. Once it was cool it had a nice creamy consistency and I was able to cut off slices with a butter knife.

The end result, cooling in the window. Not the prettiest thing, but yyyum.

Yay for homemade candy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home