Saturday, November 20, 2010

Good Coat

I have recently re-acquired a great patience for scouring second hand clothing stores, which is convenient because I have also recently acquired no money. HAHA. I've been doing a lot of shopping at the Goodwill in my neighbourhood over the last year or so, and it has been especially good to me in in the coat department.

With the cold weather here to stay for a while, I thought it would be a good idea to show you a bunch of great coats I've found at this one store. All of these were twenty dollars or less, except that I had a couple of them altered which usually ends up costing more than the coat itself, but is sometimes very much worth it. Good quality coats are a great item to get second hand because, even if the previous owner wore a coat for years, it will likely still be in very good shape because of the superiority of the construction and the fabrics used.


Navy Blue London Fog Trench Coat.
American Apparel Jeans. Hues Nude Fishnets. Aldo Shoes.
This Navy Blue London Fog trench came complete with a removable red plaid wool lining. Out in the sunlight it has a subtle sheen that's really lovely. It's too big but I don't feel like paying to have it altered right now so I've just been wearing it as is. I make this OK by calling it the 'boyfriend' trench. HAHA.


Andrew's Super Fine Virgin Wool and Cashmere Full-Length Winter Coat.
I love this one so much but I still haven't figured out an acceptable method of wearing it while riding my bike, so it barely ever leaves my apartment. I just can't make it work. Sucks. It's so nice. Soft, beautifully lined. It feels good to put my hands in the silky pockets. It is also incredibly warm.


Jones New York Hooded Coat.
I think this is both adorable and sophisticated. It's shiny, much shinier than it looks in this photo, the perfect shape and length, has a super cute and roomy hood, a nice lining and pockets. Very light, suitable for late Spring and early Fall. Basically just keeps the wind out.


London Fog Trench Coat.
Another amazing London Fog trench. It's got all the trimmings - straps and flaps and buttons and a belt. I especially like it worn open like this. I had it altered because it was way too big. I think I paid about sixty dollars for it in total.



Atelier la Pomme Suede Bat-Winged Coat.
This one is not from Goodwill, but I did get it second hand and it deserves to be mentioned. My Mom bought it in the '80s in Montreal for what I'm sure was a great deal of money to her at the time, and she wore it for almost 20 years before giving it to lucky me. It is simply amazing and people compliment me on it every time I wear it. My Momma's a short little thing so I had to have the sleeves altered to really make it work on me. I got some thick stretchy fabric from the fabric store and had a tailor form little cuffs that are sewn inside and jut out from under the sleeves. This added a couple of inches of coverage on my wrists.

I don't know why I look so mad in this photo. It isn't because I don't like you. And next time I will sweep under the rad before I have a photo shoot. HAHA.

4 Comments:

Blogger May said...

I think you should

A; smile in your pictures PRETTY GIRL!

B; give me Andrew's one since you won't be wearing it (even though it looks really good on you!)

November 21, 2010 at 1:07 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

A) Oh man, I know - the modelling is really sub par. I'm terrible at mustering up authentic looking smiles for photos, but I will try harder since my goal with this blog was never to depress people. Maybe next time I will listen to something funny while I take the pictures.

B) So not happening. Someone might invite me somewhere fancy. You never know. And even if they don't, sometimes I like to wear it to the grocery store.

November 21, 2010 at 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great finds Rebecca (and I love your Mom's jacket!)! I am a fellow thrift-vintage coat collector, and you have inspired me to document some of my finds on my blog - strangely enough I haven't done so yet (means I have to cajole someone around me to snap a pic of me in them!). Still working my way through my vintage purse collection, ahhh .....

December 25, 2010 at 9:12 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Can't wait to see them Kelly! I find that shopping for vintage coats is especially addictive because the cost/value ratio is so obviously in my favour.

January 3, 2011 at 12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home